Differences - 1940 Ulysses and 1961 Ulysses?

Clare Imholtz muldoone99 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 12 07:47:16 EST 2007

The original 1922 edition published by Sylvia Beach of
Shakespeare and Company in Paris did have a LOT of
typos but my reading indicates that the Random
House/ML (Random House was 1934, pls excuse my
confusing date in my previous email) was set from a
pirated copy by Samuel Roth, and in fact was worse.

At the time I was researching Ulysses texts, 1999, the
Shakespeare and Company was still believed by many to
be the text closest to Joyce's intentions (which are
by no means always clear. I don't know what may have
happened in the Joyce field since then.

But heck, whatever text we read, it's a great book.

Clare