Differences - 1940 Ulysses and 1961 Ulysses?

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sun Feb 11 23:28:17 EST 2007

I don't have any examples at hand but my impression is that the textual cleanup was significant. The original RH edition was set from the Shakespeare & Co. first edition published in Paris, and this had a lot of typos -- party because they were rushing to get it out in time for Joyce's birthday and partly because the French compositors didn't know English!

Barry