Differences - 1940 Ulysses and 1961 Ulysses?

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sun Feb 11 20:14:22 EST 2007

The 1961 Ulysses is a new typesetting; in bibliographical terms this makes it a new edition. The jacket states: "For this new Modern Library edition, the text has been scrupulously corrected, the type has been completely reset and new plates have been made."

There were a number of typos and other errors in the original Random House plates that were used for earlier Giant printings. If you want a reading copy the 1961 edition (with 783 pages) is preferable to earlier printings with 767 pages.

Barry