Why is ModernLib membership down?

20 Ants archetype at 20ants.com
Wed Feb 7 15:48:09 EST 2007

Rebecca, et al,

I think the basic issue derived from this whole discussion is that
there's a diminishing quantity of "new" collectors. Existing
collectors have the common MLs and thus are interested in getting the
next tier of MLs. The number of folks who want the common MLs has
dropped and similarly the number of modernlib.com members has dropped.

It's why 99% of books, antiques, etc. should never be offered as
"investments." Whatever the item is it's subject to the ebb and flow
of popular culture's attention span. It's why bound 19'th Century
periodicals can't be given away, while just a couple of decades ago
they were like gold. A formerly blue chip antique like a piece of
English copper luster ware has gathered dust for the last decade. It's
why Beenie Babies can now be used to fill low spots in your yard.

Best regards. -Michael Watson