[ModLib] Looking for Binding Verification on a few Titles ATTN JK

Darrell Johnson zebradlj at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 31 11:26:24 EDT 2007

Ron,

  You are indicating that your descriptions rely on Height and Spine Style only.  But the only difference between Toledano 9 and 10 is the Oval vs Hex blind-stamp on the Cover.  The same is true of Toledano's 11 and 12 - their only difference is the difference between the hex and "ml" blind stamp on the Covers.  If you don't distinguish them, you are collapsing the distinctions between 9 and 10 and between 11 and 12.  I think you need to maintain the distinction since Toledano's spine styles are the bases for the rest of the discussions about oddball bindings.

  What do you think?

  Darrell

Ron Holl <modlib at alltel.net> wrote:
  > The 11's have octogonal torch-bearers blind-stamped on the cover. Runyon cannot be described as a 14/11, it has a "ml" blind-stamped on the cover and must be treated as a 14/12.

The 14/11 means a 14 cover and size; the 11 (or 12) means the spine. For example, when we say 14/9 the front cover does not have the torchbearer in the oval, it is a blind stamped "ml". And the size is the larger #14 format. Now, that 14/9 could be called a 14/10 also. I have been defaulting to the earliest appearance of the spine. Thus, 14/9, 13/9, and 14/11. But 14/12 is fine also.

ron