[ModLib] REDUX: Buckram dates

Scot Kamins kamins at ModernLib.com
Wed Aug 29 13:46:56 EDT 2007

On Aug 29, 2007, at 8:33 AM, Lawrence, M.O. Buck wrote:

> Scott, I rechecked my numbering on my Giant Metropolitan Opera Guide.
> The binding is in the style you have identified as BG2. The highest
> numbered book in the back is #336. (What I had originally stated.)
> Maybe
> they took old printings and placed in newer bindings? Doesn't this
> numbering put the pages in the late 1940's?

Forget what I said about that date.

You're looking at the wrong thing. It doesn't matter what the highest
numbered book is when using the dating key; what matters is what
title is there AND what title is NOT there.

336 isn't the total number of books in the series at the time because
the total number includes giants. The book with number 336, Last of
the Wine by Renault, was published in 1963. I'm betting that, if you
look at the list again, you'll find that the list contains Hesse,
Steppenwolf but not Ellison, Invisible Man.  Yes?