[ModLib] NEED HELP WITH A THEORY ON FIRST DJ'S FOR G39, MURASAKI'S TALE OF GENJI

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Tue Aug 21 17:24:54 EDT 2007

The Tale of Genji was published in late fall 1960 in the G5 binding and a jacket with the Gf back panel. There is no statement at the head of the ML list inside the jacket.

I've never seen a MLG printing without the statement "First Modern Library Giant Edition, 1960." The first printing was printed letterpress using Houghton, Mifflin plates. When the ML switched to offset printing in the early 1960s it photographed the first ML printing, including the first MLG Edition statement on the verso of the title page. It's possible there was a second letterpress printing without the First MLG Edition statement, but I've never seen it and suspect that the first printing of 15,000 copies was sufficient to meet demand until the ML switched to offset printing.

Barry