[ModLib] Confirmed Bindings: Anna Karenina

Darrell Johnson zebradlj at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 17 10:47:01 EDT 2007

Ron, Scot and others,

  When I started my database I was simply trying to have a way of tracking the books I was interested in to know which ones I had and which I didn't have and what was in those I had.  But as I was working on it I re-read Scot's intro material on Dogeared which suggested that some collectors may want only one particular style or a few particular authors or etc.... etc...etc...  I decided that the database could easily parse all those sorts of information into nice lists if the info were simply included.  I don't imagine that every collector will need separate lists for bindings 5, 6 and 7.  If someone collects Balloon Cloths having the title in Balloon Cloth suffices  But there may some who collect only one of the three bindings, or others who collect all three as seperate sets!  I want the database to be able to easily accomodate any collector's way of dividing up the Modern Library world.
       That most importantly needs to include content changes, and that would require knowing what's happening with content changes as a title runs through binding style changes simeltaneously - which is the particular issue in this example concerning Anna Karenina.
       Since the database parses possible binding/content combinations in the way indicated by the little table I included in the earlier post, I'll be doing my best to indicate all the confirmations for every title along the same lines.  Your confirmation list already has the collaboration activity set up to help this become as complete as possible, so I would like to see it expanded.

  Darrell

Ron Holl <modlib at alltel.net> wrote:

I think we can salvage the existing data and break up some of the titles into different editions, if anyone finds value (interest) in that.

ron