[ModLib] 90's Hardback Sizes

Murry/Carolyn Spector candm at wavecable.com
Thu Aug 16 19:22:04 EDT 2007

Darrell Johnson wrote:
> Collectors of the 90's Hardback series,
>
> If anyone is collecting the hardback series from 1992-present I would
> like your help.  I have a large number of these in my collection and
> have them in my database.  I used to simply list them as style: 90's
> hardback
>           format: 90's hardback
>      subformat: 90's hardback
>
> I treat them as one big collection that is separate from the previous
> regular, giant and 80's faux sets.  But I realize that there may be
> some collectors who treat the two sizes as coninuations of regulars
> from 1939-1970 - 80's Faux and then 90's Hardback and similar with the
> giant size.  So I have altered the database structure for the format
> and subformat of these to:
>             style: 90's hardback           and            style: 90's
> hardback
>          format: 90's HB Regular                        format: 90's
> HB Giant
>     subformat: 90's HB Regular                     subformat: 90's HB
> Giant
>
> [Note the "subformat" 's are redundant here because there isn't enough
> variation in 90's Hardbacks to require such classification.]
>
> The inside of jackets for these eventually listed titles.  But the
> jacket lists do not ditinguish between regular and giant formats in
> their bindings.  I have determined most titles' actual size but I need
> help with the following;
>
> *qryStyleFromatSubFomat Query* Author/Editor 	Title
> Angelou, Maya 	The Collected Autobiographies of Maya Angelou
> Antin, Mary 	The Promised Land
> Augustine, Saint 	The Confessions
> Babur 	The Baburama
> Barnes, Djuna 	Nightwood
> Berendt, John 	Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil: A Savannah Story
> Brando, Marlon 	Brando: Songs My Mother Taught Me
> Catherine the Great 	The Memoirs of Catherine the Great
> Chekhov, Anton 	Three Plays (Chekhov)
> Chopin, Kate 	Christmas Classics from the Modern Library
> Chopin, Kate 	Christmas Classics from the Modern Library
> Dickens, Charles 	Hard Times
> Didion, Joan 	Slouching Towards Bethleham
> Dumas, Alexander 	The Three Musketeers
> Hesse, Herman 	Siddhartha
> Hugo, Victor 	The Toilers of the Sea
> Jackson, Shirley 	The Lottery and Other Stories
> Jacobs, Jane 	The Nature of Economics
> Jefferson, Thomas 	Light and Liberty: Reflections on the Persuit of
> Happiness
> Liebling, A. J. 	Between Meals
> Mitford, Nancy 	The Pursuit of Love and Love in a Cold Climate
> Plimpton, George 	The Writer's Chapbook
> Rilke, Rainer Maria 	A Poets Guide to Life
> Rilke, Rainer Maria 	Letters to a Young Poet
> Rimbaud, Arthur 	Rimbaud Complete Vol. I: Poetry and Prose
> Ross, Harold 	Letter from the Editor
> Spender, Stephen 	World Within World
> Stegner, Wallace 	Angle of Repose
> Trevor, William 	Nights at the Alexandra
> Vidal, Gore 	1876
> Welty, Eudora 	On Writing

> [...]
Darrell,

The 90's series gradually faded out in the 2000's, after going through
at least four different styles of dj covers. The spines always had the
picture of the author at the top, and later in the middle. ML still
publishes books, and they still have the Bernhard design endpapers and
the torchbearer logo at the bottom of the spine, but you could not
really call them part of a series. The last one I could find that was
part of the series was The Book of Daniel with a new introduction, from
2005.

Of the books you listed, the following I could only find in paperback:

Antin, The Promised Land
Hugo, Toilers of the Sea
Dickens, Hard Times

The following are published by Modern Library, but are not part of the
series:

Angelou, 2004, Collected Autobiographies
Berendt, 2005, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
Brando, 1994, Songs My Mother Taught Me
Memoirs of Catherine the Great, 2005
Hesse, 2006, Siddhartha
Jacobs, 2000, The Nature of Economies
Jefferson, 2005, Light and Liberty
Rilke, 2005, A Poets Guide to Life
Rimbaud, 2003, Rimbaud Complete Poetry and Prose
Welty, 2002, On Writing

The following could be considered "regular" MLs:

Trevor, 2001, Night at the Alexandra
Spender, 2001, World Within World
Rilke, 2001, Letters to a Young Poet
Liebling, 1995, Between Meals
Jackson, 2000, The Lottery
Didion, 2000, Slouching Toward Bethlehem
Barnes, 2000, Nightwood
Augustine, 1999, Confessions
Mitford, 1994, The Pursuit of Love

The following could be considered "Giants":

Augustine, 1994, Confessions
Chekhov, 2001, Three Plays
Christmas Classics from the Modern Library, 1997
Dumas, 1997, The Three Musketeers
Plimpton, 1999, Writer's Chapbook
Stegner, 2000, Angle of Repose
Vidal, 1998, 1876