[ModLib] First Pass At "Quick Guide to Buckram Binding Styles of the 1960's" Is Up!

Scot Kamins kamins at ModernLib.com
Thu Aug 16 19:15:20 EDT 2007

Folks,

Inspired by the recent discussions about buckrams, and giving in to
the constant pestering from that Ron Holl character, I've cobbled
together a Web page showing the three (or four, depending) buckram
regular-sized binding styles:

http://www.modernlib.com/Identifiers/bindingsBuckram/bindingsBuck.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/2cfe83

(I haven't optimized the large graphics yet, so it might take a bit
of time to load -- I'll fix that soon.)

The bindings are real, as are the logos; the assertions I make are
just that -- assertions that need to be tested against the larger
community's collections.

I'm suggesting that Type B2 was only used for a season or two. So I
need folks to check their collections for these Buckram versions of
binding 10 spines -- look in the back for catalogs and see if you
find a match for one of these:

Spring 1963 --  A giant catalog listing Medieval Epics but not
O'Hara, 49 Stories or a regular catalog showing Hesse, Steppenwolf
but not Ellison, Invisible Man

Fall 1963 -- A giant catalog will have O'Hara, 49 Stories but not
Great Classical Myths; a regular one will show Ellison, Invisible Man
but not Malamud, Two Novels for the Fall.

I list Giants first because my meagre two examples both have giants-
only catalogs.

PLEASE -- your cooperation is essential here!!!

Thanks,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
                  - Benj. Franklin (perhaps)