[ModLib] SCOTT,

Ron Holl modlib at alltel.net
Fri Aug 10 14:16:00 EDT 2007

> > Further, would it be helpful to include the first dj type on the
> > first pointer page?  I also have two copies that meet the other
> > pointers on your site, (eg includes Capote), but they have an l
> > jacket.  My copies with the Fall, 1964 list have k jackets
>
> I like the idea of including he DJ back style. Adding the price on
> the DJ flap is also important, I think, for the post-1963 issues.

This has been requested and discussed multiple times.  Most recently on July 2, 2007:

From: 	Scot Kamins <kamins at modernlib.com> Add Address
Date: 	2007/07/02 Mon PM 02:04:32 EDT
To: 	For collectors of Modern Library books <modlib at owu.edu>
Subject: 	Re: [ModLib] More First Edition Points Needed For Many Titles

<snip>

In sum, here are some first edition points (some mentioned above,
some not, with questions) that might be added to BookNotes for many
titles:

* DJ back -- Is this generally a reliable indicator, based on the
dates of use as noted in ModernLib, especially for post-1963 issues
that had no "available titles" count at the top of the DJ inverse?

* Price on DJ flap -- Some DJ flaps don't show prices. Are there any
firsts that lack the price?

* ISBN numbers -- Can the presence of these be used as a negative
indicator (no first DJs had ISBN numbers) as a search of the mailing
list archives seems to indicate?

* Presence or absence of back-of-book catalog?

* Dating key -- Especially useful for books in the 1963 - 1967 time
frame, after "available titles" count disappeared from DJ inverses
and while back-of-book catalogs were still being updated?

What do others think?

At least one response came back in the affirmative.  Each time this comes up, I like to note that 342.1 (Ah! Wilderness) requires this information, as does 359.1 (Complete...Letters/Michelangelo).  (Sorry Joe, parenthetical title names were provided for the benefit of the casual ML collector.)

> ATTN RON HOLL: The question is, have we collected sufficiently
> accurate information in recent projects to know the first DJ back style?

Yes, in most cases.  As is usually the case new findings can and do update existing information.

ron