[ModLib] ISBN numbers on DJs covering bindings BELOW #14?

Michael Watson archetype at 20ants.com
Tue Aug 7 21:04:33 EDT 2007

Let it be known to all that ISBNs are not always used uniformly or
correctly: publishers don't always feel strongly about maintaining
the integrity of the system. A publisher buys a "block" of ISBNs for
a fee: publishers often feel strongly about saving a dime here and
there in odd ways.

A given ISBN might be reused for a different version of the same
book. An advance copy may have an ISBN, but if the book isn't
actually published the publisher may later use that ISBN on a
different title. The hardback and paperback may have the same ISBN. Etc, etc.

The advent of Internet selling (like Amazon) made the integrity of
ISBNs a bit more necessary, but they aren't inviolate. The
aberrations are not documented unless someone discovers one and
figures out the mystery

-Michael

At 06:16 PM 8/7/2007, you wrote:
>ISBNs began to be widely used in the early 1970s, so it's highly
>unlikely to find them on any books printed before 1970. They
>originally consisted of 10 digits in 4 fields -- country or language
>area, publisher, unique number for a particular edition (hardbound
>and paperback editions would have different numbers, and I would
>guess that buckram bindings were also distinguished by separate
>ISBNs), and a single check digit that flagged incorrect ISBNs (the
>roman numeral X was used for a check digit of 10). In the 1970s
>publishers sometimes omitted the first two fields, but in later
>years ISBNs have usually been given in their entirety. Beginning in
>2006 ISBNs expanded to 13 digits.
>
>Barry

  Michael Watson, bookman                           Indianapolis IN USA
  archetype at 20ants.com       www.20ants.com        (317)514-3829
  Fine press, limiteds & unusual non-fiction. Appraisal & cataloging
  Traditional courtesies to the trade. Always seeking better books.
  President: Independent Online Booksellers Association (IOBA)
  www.ioba.org
  Offering a safe, secure bookbuying experience at
  www.iobabooks.com/browse_books.php?id=47132