[ModLib] ISBN numbers on DJs covering bindings BELOW #14?

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Tue Aug 7 18:16:52 EDT 2007

ISBNs began to be widely used in the early 1970s, so it's highly unlikely to find them on any books printed before 1970. They originally consisted of 10 digits in 4 fields -- country or language area, publisher, unique number for a particular edition (hardbound and paperback editions would have different numbers, and I would guess that buckram bindings were also distinguished by separate ISBNs), and a single check digit that flagged incorrect ISBNs (the roman numeral X was used for a check digit of 10). In the 1970s publishers sometimes omitted the first two fields, but in later years ISBNs have usually been given in their entirety. Beginning in 2006 ISBNs expanded to 13 digits.

Barry