[ModLib] ISBN numbers on DJs covering bindings BELOW #14?

Scot Kamins kamins at ModernLib.com
Tue Aug 7 15:52:34 EDT 2007

Folks,

Ron Holl and I have been discussing bindings (again). The current
topic is ISBN numbers. As far as research tells me, ISBN numbers
started appearing on ML DJs AFTER 1970. Also, 1969-1970 was the
period of the #14 bindings (the tall ones). I was suggesting that all
books having DJs with ISBN numbers in the 1971-1975 period must have
#14 bindings.

So the questions are:

1) Is it true, as research in the archives would indicate (and I'll
be glad to quote the source if you need it), that only ML books
printed AFTER 1970 have ISBN numbers?

2) Are there any DJs NOT in the taller (binding 14) format with ISBN
numbers on the back?

"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." -- Emma Goldman