The Alice

Scot Kamins kamins at ModernLib.com
Thu Sep 14 15:35:40 EDT 2006

On Sep 14, 2006, at 12:05 PM, Rob Perrilleon wrote:

> It wasn't in great shape, but it had a glassine jacket and hey,
> it's an Illustrated Alice.  I don't remember ever seeing one on
> eBay in ~4 years of looking.

 From http://www.modernlib.com/Rarities/Alice.html:

"The Illustrated "Alice" is a fairly scare Modern Library volume. On
September 24, 2000, a copy sold on eBay for $431.00; on February 5,
2001, another eBay copy brought $667.00; and on May 27 2003 a copy
with a defective acetate (half of "Alice" was missing) eBayed out at
$536.00. As absurd as it seems, in mid-october 2005 somebody paid a
preposterous $1250 for one with a chipped acetate, again on eBay.
While the October 2005 purchase was way out of line by any standard,
Alice is still a pricey acquisition"

I seem to remember others selling on eBay as well. Anybody have the
complete stats?

civil disobedience
n.
Refusal to obey civil laws in an effort to induce change in
governmental policy or legislation, characterized by the use of
passive resistance or other nonviolent means.