Type #14 bindings

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Tue Sep 12 10:54:09 EDT 2006

This is an anomaly not a new type. Binding spines were stamped from dies made for each title. Each successive spine design with a different torchbearer was stamped from a separate die. The 1958 first printing of A Treasury of Damon Runyan was stamped with a #8 die. My copy in the taller format (with the red jacket) has a #14 spine.  From what you say it sounds like your copy in the taller format has a #12 spine.

There are several possible explanations for this. It's possible that a #13/14 die had not been made for Runyan when the first printing in the taller format was ready for binding, and so a #12 die was used instead (the same die could be used for either the traditional or taller binding).  I haven't seen a copy of Runyan in the traditional format with a #12 spine. I only have the 1958 first printing and a copy of the taller format with the red jacket in a #14 binding. It would be helpful to know if there was a 1967 printing in a #12 binding.

It's also possible that a #12 spine die was used for a later printing in the taller format by mistake or because the #14 die had been broken or misplaced. Does your copy of the taller format look like an early of later printing? Some later printings in the taller format have plain endpapers instead of the Fujita endpaper and poor quality paper. My copy of the #14 format seems to be a first or early printing in this format, with Fujita endpapers in blue and good quality paper.

Binding anomalies like this can occur with an entire printing or a portion of a printing (entire printings were not always bound at the same time). They usually occur with reprints of existing titles rather than first printings of new titles. The cause is usually a delay in making dies for new binding designs of older titles.

Barry