Color of Dust Jackets

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Mon Sep 11 18:12:12 EDT 2006

The balloon cloth volumes are my favorites of all the formats used by the ML, and they were far and away the most ambitious.  Each book was published simultaneously in four different colors of cloth. (I have first printings of Huysman's Against the Grain in each binding color--red, green, blue and brown.) Top edges were stained to match the color of the cloth. The uniform typographic jackets came in various color combinations: yellow paper with red or green bands, green paper with green bands, light blue paper with blue bands come to mind. I've always assumed that each title with a uniform typographic jacket was available in all four color combinations, but I've never tried to collect multiple examples to demonstrate this. Kent's newly designed endpapers were initially printed in three different colors and coordinated with the color of the binding, but this was overly ambitious and within a few years all the Kent endpapers were printed in one color.

We don't need to document every color variant for every title, but it would be interesting to show examples of one title in each binding and jacket combination.

Barry