recycled cover

jpetersonlhi at verizon.net jpetersonlhi at verizon.net
Sat Oct 7 23:59:43 EDT 2006

Ron, mine is a Spring '47 as well, not '49, as I erroneously stated (322 titles).  The original letters on mine appear grey as well, which I interpreted to be semi-opaque black ink over the gold lettering.  Evidence for this interpretation is strong, in that the black comes off the original lettering with a little scratching w/a fingernail.

Is your cover green?  I also have a Fall '47 Light Verse with the same green cover.

John

>From: Ron Holl <modlib at alltel.net>
>Date: 2006/10/07 Sat PM 10:01:39 CDT
>To: modlib at algol.owu.edu
>Subject: Re: recycled cover

>Hi John,
>
>I have the same 'hidden' stamp on my copy as well (Spring '47), although it seems like a dark gray was applied to it.  I was amused by it when I acquired the book a couple months ago.
>

>ron
>

>> I have a Spring '49 Mrs. Dalloway (96.2) whose cover, both front and spine, was originally stamped with #49.2 Anthology of Light Verse, then inked over in black and then Mrs. Dalloway stamped over.  Anyone have one like it?  Was it an isolated mistake, or were they trying to make budget by taking a surplus of light verse covers and recycling them?
>>
>> John Peterson

John D. Peterson