New dogeared

20 Ants archetype at 20ants.com
Thu Nov 30 00:26:28 EST 2006

Mark, et al,

Haven't had the time/motivation/smarts/moxie/whatever to e-mail
him/her/them. There are two issues with the Amenities site, mainly on
the hosting end of things.

#1 - The domain record is screwed up.
The amenities site never resolves to its domain name in the browser
and always resolves to its IP. It should function fine like this, but
it's bad for marketing and PR: make it display the domain name,
'cause that's what people will remember.

#2 - Perl is probably overused on the box
Amenities is not invoked by requesting an HTML document that's
displayed in your browser, it's invoked by requesting a Perl script
that calls one or more documents and sends them to your browser.
Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The fact that it does
work indicates that the Perl script is probably ok. Since it
sometimes doesn't work (or at least doesn't work faster than the
timeout value of my browser), my guess is that Amenities is on a
shared server where another user is running something that's
monopolizing the Perl interpreter so it can't serve the Amenities
docs in a timely manner.

...or...

#3 - Perl is not running as mod_perl
Perl needs to run as mod_perl so that it runs as a single process.
Faster for everyone on the box. It might be running as plain old Perl
and spawing a new process every time a doc is requested.

I'd appreciate it if someone could forward this to the Amenities
owner or master.

Best regards. -Michael Watson

At 04:56 PM 11/29/2006, you wrote:

>Just wondering if anyone else is having a problem accessing the
>Amenities site.  Whether I type it in directly or use a link from
>modernlib.com, I can't seem to access it.  Mark Braley

20 Ants
5709 Broadway St. Indianapolis IN 46220-2569
http://www.20ants.com
   books, individually and in lots. Specializing in fine press and non-fiction.
   Member of Independent Online Booksellers Association (IOBA)
http://www.ioba.org
   Offering a safe bookbuying experience at
http://www.iobabooks.com/browse_books.php?id=47132