NEED CONFIRMATION re. 1st status of Rostand's Cyrano

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Wed Nov 29 22:16:16 EST 2006

I've just got home after teaching an evening class and can now check my bibliography. Cyrano was published in spring 1929. It was scheduled for publication in March but isn't listed in Publishers' Weekly "Weekly Record" until the April 29 issue. My copy of the first printing has a uniform typographic jacket with a spring 1929 list.

This doesn't preclude a fall 1928 pictorial jacket. Titles published in January usually had jackets with lists from the previous fall. I expect the Modern Library "ganged" plates for several pictorial jackets and printed them together to reduce printing costs. With Cyrano scheduled for spring publication, pictorial jackets could have been printed several months in advance, in which case it would have had a fall 1928 list.

Barry