Strange late 1920's

John jwol at fast.net
Mon Nov 27 19:17:56 EST 2006

It also got onto my 1st copy (on the copyright page, anyway) of The Emperor
Jones & the Straw by O'Neill.  Vertical text on spine, NO NUMBER on spine,
150 titles noted, and payment choices presented horizontally in the payment
box.  One copy of Cellini, 3.2, I have is the same jacket configuration but
for the number 3 twice on the spine.  This is a Keratol gift set copy.

Actually, in addition to the gift set jackets noted, I believe there is
another variation, a hybrid gift set/d jacket or an early d jacket, sans
colored bands.  I have a copy of Casanova, 165.1 with the d jacket
configuration on the back (payment options vertical on the right and just
one paragraph), 159 titles noted, vertical title and two numbers on spine,
but no colored bands.  See the jacket noted as 1929 in Scott's database.  I
also have copies of Cellini, 3.2, Nana, 142.1 in the exact same
configuration.

John Wolansky
jwol at fast.net