Giant end papers?

jpetersonlhi at verizon.net jpetersonlhi at verizon.net
Sat Nov 25 10:57:27 EST 2006

Scot:

Out of 12 Giants that I have with the special endpapers, only one falls outside the Spr,’47-Spr,’50 timeframe, and that is G-56.1 (Shandy), with 371 titles on the inside of the DJ (=Fall, ’54).  Since I know of no way to date the book independently of the DJ, it could be that this copy has been ‘married’ with a later DJ.

John Peterson

>From: Scot Kamins <kamins at ModernLib.com>
>Date: 2006/11/24 Fri PM 01:44:02 CST
>To: ML ListServ <modlib at algol.owu.edu>
>Subject: Giant end papers?

>Folks,
>
>In the ListServ thread  "ML End Paper Trivia Question" dated Fri, 8
>Jul 2005. Barry says "There was a period around 1948-1950 or so when
>Giants had endpapers designed especially for the Giants format."
>
>(See http://www.modernlib.com/giant48.jpeg )
>
>The Guide suggests 1945-1963 for this design.
>
>I'm trying to ascertain the correct date range for these decorated
>end papers for a ModernLib article I'm putting together on end
>papers. Does anybody have this design in a giant OUTSIDE of the range
>1948-1950?
>

>And yes, most end papers for giants are blank (not including Musa
>Dagh, GGreat Ages and Ideas of the Jewish People, and Twain).
>
>Thanks,
>
>- Scot Kamins

John D. Peterson