Fwd: Re: Up Stream

J B Krygier jbkrygier at owu.edu
Tue Nov 14 07:56:02 EST 2006

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gordon Neavill <aa3401 at wayne.edu>
Subject: Re: Up Stream
To: modlib at algol.owu.edu
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 21:22:38 -0500 (EST)

I guess I must be one of the five people Toby is referring to. Here's
the scoop on Up Stream:

The evolution of ML printings of Up Stream is more complex than
indicated in the Toledano Guide. Lewisohn's autobiographical volume
was originally published by Boni and Liveright in 1922. The B&L
plates were too large for the ML's format, so when Cerf and Klopfer
decided to add it to the ML in 1926 they had to reset the text. When
Lewisohn found out that the book was being reset, he asked to make
revisions in the text -- something that wouldn't have been possible
if the ML had been able to use the original plates. The revisions, he
told Klopfer, were of great moral and literary importance to him.
Most of the passages he rewrote concerned his wife Mary, from whom he
had separated since the book was originally published. He removed a
number of references to his wife in the ML edition and rewrote
others. For example:

B&L text: "My father was, characteristically, aglow; he saw visions
of grandeur. My mother's womanly and solitary heart yearned over
Mary. So Mary and I were married and we all settled down in an old,
roomy house in Queenshaven. The house overlooked the bay and from our
study windows Mary and I watched the horned moon float over the
silken swell of the dark waters and listened to the tide...." (B&L,
p. 135)

ML text, 1st printing: "My father was, characteristically, aglow; he
saw visions of grandeur. Mary, furthermore, insisted that we must be
married to save her honor and her very life. I was a gentleman still
and a Southerner. I tried to hope many things to still the fatal
monitions within me.... We all settled down together in an old house
overlooking the bay. But Mary's responsibilities to her family robbed
her of the power, even though she had had the will, to be my wife or
-- despite her age, the daughter of my parents. . . . She was a
middle-aged woman who had insisted on marrying a man not much older
than her oldest child. She acted like Dora Copperfield.... Something
indomitable must have been in me that I did not go under ... a
strength and a faith…." (ML 1st printing, pp. 159-60)

Mary Lewisohn threatened to sue the ML for libel after she saw the ML
edition. She objected specifically to the passage, "Mary,
furthermore, insisted that we must be married to save her honor and
her very life."

The second ML printing in November 1927 omitted the passage quoted
above and the following passage from the new introduction Lewisohn
wrote for the ML edition:

"I say this in all humility and say it in order to record the fact
that the general texture of Up Stream remained free, has always been
free, of the unveracity that marked a small number of passages now
changed or expunged. Why, in my ardent search for the truth of
things, did I deliberately falsify one element in my life and draw
falsely one character? Through a mistaken kindliness? Yes. But more
through shame -- shame of the all but unbelievable physical and moral
facts. . . . That blot on the book has now been wiped out. . . . If
Up Stream is still worthy of being read; if it is worthy of being
remembered -- let it be read and remembered in the form in which it
is now definitively printed here. . . ."(1st printing, p. xi)

The introduction occupies pp. vii-xii in the first printing. The
omission of the passage quoted above results in the introduction
appearing in the second printing on pp. vii-xi. But Mary Lewisohn was
not satisfied with the changes in the second printing. Three days
after the second printing was released, the ML agreed to drop the
introduction altogether and substitute the original Boni & Liveright
text for the revisions supplied by Lewisohn. The introduction was cut
out of all remaining copies of the second printing. The table of
contents which listed the introduction is also removed in all copies
I’ve examined. The stubs of four leaves remain visible. In
bibliographical terms, these copies constitute the second state of
the second printing.

This should have settled the matter, but somebody made a huge blunder
when the third ML printing was made in July 1928. The third printing
retained Lewisohn’s introduction in violation of the settlement with
Mary Lewisohn. The three leaves containing the introduction were cut
out of the book, apparently before any copies were distributed. A
newly printed leaf with the note required by the ML’s agreement with
Mary Lewisohn, was pasted to the stub of one of the cancelled leaves.
The note reads: "The Modern Library announces with this definitive
edition, the final form of UP STREAM corrected to correspond with the
original text published by Boni and Liveright, 1922."

There is a bibliographical puzzle with the third printing that I
haven’t resolved. In some copies the final gathering consists of 14
leaves with a fall 1928 ML list on the last two leaves (pp.
[301-304]). In others the final gathering consists of 16 leaves with
the fall 1928 list on pp. [301-304] followed by two blank leaves (pp.
[305-308]). It's unlikely that there would have been two separate
printings with fall 1928 lists both requiring the cancellation of
Lewisohn’s introduction. The printer may have realized during the
print run that the introduction had been included by mistake and that
a newly printed leaf would have to be added to the book with the
statement about the "definitive edition" quoted above. The printer
may have removed the plates for the final during the print run,
substituted two identical plates containing the statement "The Modern
Library announces with this definitive edition . . ." for the two
blank leaves, repositioned the plates on the press, a!
  nd completed the printing with enough copies of the leaf that would
have to be tipped in to replace the introduction that had been
printed by mistake. This is the only explanation I’ve been able to
think of, but I’ll have to check with some printer friends to see if
this hypothesis is plausible.

The fourth printing in spring 1929 appears to have been the first to
satisfy the requirements of the ML’s agreement with Mary Lewisohn
without resorting to cancellation (the removal of leaves containing
the introduction). The statement "The Modern Library announces with
this definitive edition, the final form of UP STREAM corrected to
correspond with the original text published by Boni and Liveright,
1922." appears on the third leaf of the first gathering, and the
table of contents is the first to omit reference to Lewisohn’s
introduction.

The first three printings were bound in imitation leather (Henry’s
binding 4). The fourth printing is bound in balloon cloth (Henry’s
binding 5). The first three printings (1926, 1927, 1928) had the
first ML, Inc. typographic jacket, with the following text on the
front panel: "LUDWIG LEWISOHN’s "Up Stream" appeared first in the
Spring of 1922. The color and charm of the book and the continuous
beauty of its prose established it immediately as an important and
permanent contribution to American letters. The Modern Library
edition, containing a new introduction by the author, and certain
revisions that he deemed vital in the text, will undoubtedly win a
tremendous new audience for the book." (I’ve seen the fall 1928
jacket but not jackets for the first and second printings. If anyone
has a jacketed first printing I’d love to see a scan or photocopy of
the jacket -- including the list of titles -- so I can update my
bibliography entry.) The fourth printing has the ne!
  w uniform typographic jacket introduced in fall 1929. This jacket
has the following statement on the front panel: "The original text
complete and unabridged, with a prologue by the author."

Gordon B. Neavill
Associate Professor
Library and Information Science Program
106 Kresge Library