ML Bookcase

Allbooks at aol.com Allbooks at aol.com
Mon May 29 18:43:36 EDT 2006

I somehow missed that bookcase story.  Would someone please re-send it?  I
once almost bought one on eBay; still wouldn't mind having one.

In case I never told my ML bookcase story to this group, here it is:  There
was once a legendary bookman in the DC area called Sam Yudkin.  One of his
various enterprises was the Airport Bookshop at the National Airport.  Sam had a
ML bookcase in that shop, but did not use it for ML books.

Who should walk in one day but none other than Bennett Cerf.  Cerf, who had
apparently been indulging in a dram or two, noted the lack of ML books in his
ML bookcase, and expressed his distress in no uncertain terms.  After more than
enough of Cerf's opinion, Sam finally agreed to ship the bookcase back to
Random House--freight collect.  Cerf left, and that was the end of the matter.
Sam kept the bookcase.

In a message dated 5/29/2006 6:09:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,