Shakespeare 2 Vol. Question Thanks

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Sun May 28 18:35:23 EDT 2006

On May 28, 2006, at 3:29 PM, Greg Brister wrote:

> Even today, if I were given the choice to buy a three volume set of
> Shakespeare or a six volume, I'd opt for the former--presumably the
> latter would be more expensive by  the cost of three more books--
> then, that may be the reason for scrapping the three volume set, I
> guess.

Dogeared has this information, provided by Barry Neavill:

"The first printing of the three-volume Shakespeare was published in
fall 1943 in drab brownish jackets. The second printing in spring
1944 had brighter jackets in reddish orange, green, black and gold on
white paper.
"Postwar inflation made it impossible for the Modern Library to
publish the Shakespeare profitably in three volumes so they decided
to switch to two volumes (parts 1 and 2) for each original one.

"The first printing of the six-volume Shakespeare was 16,600 sets."

Join Dogeared for access to thousands of ML images and tons of
members-only info!
http://www.dogeared.com/General/howToSubscribe.html