Followup: P-50 Great Russian Stories

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Wed May 17 11:55:25 EDT 2006

Ron,

I don't have info about printings, but P50 sold 6,900 copies in 1958/59 and 6,500 copies in 1959/60.  I'm not sure which 12 month periods are being counted, but I'm confident that P50 didn't sell any copies before Jan. 1959 when it was published.

I think the white cover is later.  ML Paperbacks dropped the diagonal line after spring 1959, and the phrase "Modern Library Paperbacks are published ..." is omitted from many titles published after spring 1959.  And since there were no updated lists of titles after the P50 list, the reprint simply reproduced the list from the first printing.  I have no idea why they switched from a yellow to white background on the cover, but there are several other examples of color changes on different printings of ML Paperbacks as well.

I don't have a copy of the later (white) printing.  I have copies of all of the paperbacks except P46, but not all of them in first printings.

Barry