New Plan for Illustrateds Project (was: What constitutes fair use? )

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Mon May 15 15:08:43 EDT 2006

Folks,

Thanks for all the comments and input (both public and private)
regarding this new project. Here's what I conclude:

1. The images in these books may or may not still be covered by
copyright.
2. Research indicates that noncommercial use of a sampling of images
(as opposed to ALL images) in a book for educational, non-commercial
purposes is likely permissible under copyright law, depending on who
the judge is.
3. If the copyright holder objects to the publication of images, s/he
will likely ask for the images to be taken down before s/he has me
hauled off to the pillory.
4. We don't need to see all the images in a book to determine if we
want to add the book to our collections; a representative sampling
(3-6 images, depending) is enough.
5. People may be more likely to scan and contribute a few images
rather than dozens.

THUS:

The illustrateds Project, for the general edification of the public
in service to the advancement of the hobby of book collecting, seeks
to show a small but representative sampling of the images from each
title in the Modern Library Illustrated series.

Five titles have been completed so far, with more to come over the
next few days. Links are easily accessible on the Dogeared Change Log
page at:

http://www.dogeared.com/General/changeLog.html

ML hobbyists who would like to contribute scans to the project should
contact me to see if the scans for a given title are needed. Scans
should be full-sized, 72 DPI, JPEG format, with three to five scans
for each title.

civil disobedience
n.
Refusal to obey civil laws in an effort to induce change in
governmental policy or legislation, characterized by the use of
passive resistance or other nonviolent means.