What constitutes fair use?

Printmat at aol.com Printmat at aol.com
Sun May 14 18:01:50 EDT 2006

In a message dated 5/14/2006 1:44:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
billdi at earthlink.net writes:

> Of course I'm no copyright lawyer, so everything I've said could be utter
> nonsense.

Could be. Copyright used to extend to 50 years after the death of the
creator, and was extended even further (especially for corporate copyright holders --
I think it's 100 years now) in the Disney case a few years ago (when Mickey
Mouse was ready to enter the public domain). So the ML images, owned by Random
House are almost certainly still under copyright. "Fair use" is less about
what percentage of text or images may be used without permission (though it's
usually held to be quite small --- less than 10 percent, certainly) than about
the venue the excerpts are used in -- book reviews and critical articles are the
most common instance.

Bob Riedel