New Dogeared Project -- Illustrations

20 Ants archetype at 20ants.com
Sun May 14 16:33:32 EDT 2006

This assumes that the right hand knows what the left hand is doing in
a publishing house.

(my cynical, near-maniacal laughter ensues...)

Coming from a publishing background I can guarantee that different
groups within different imprints within the same publisher may have
absolutely no clue what each other is doing, even when it involves
publishing rights, ownership, revenue, print runs, redundant
ediitons, decisions about this stuff, etc. From the top down, most
commercial publishers remain old-world organizations where little is
communicated between groups and imprints and the internal struggles
make the business seem like feudal Europe all over again.

I'm not surprised that a publisher would produce redundant editions,
simply from not knowing what was going on.

-Michael Watson

>Why is a good question. I'm also trying to figure out why RH went to the
>trouble and expense of publishing two virtually identical illustrated
>editions at the same time.  (This happened in several instances, not just
>Green Mansions.) Would it be because they could charge more for the larger
>RH edition?

20 Ants
5709 Broadway St. Indianapolis IN 46220-2569
http://www.20ants.com
   books, individually and in lots. Specializing in fine press and non-fiction.
   Member of Independent Online Booksellers Association (IOBA)
http://www.ioba.org
   Offering a safe bookbuying experience at
http://www.iobabooks.com/browse_books.php?id=47132