What constitutes fair use?

Bill DiBenedetto billdi at earthlink.net
Sun May 14 13:44:27 EDT 2006

I think its okay to use as many illustrations as we want. These are
illustrations that are 50 or 60 years old, so in most cases the copyrights
that may have existed have probably expired. However, to be safe, I think a
representative sample of the illustrations, less than 50 percent out of an
edition, would be fine.
I don't think Scot has run into any copyright infringement problems by
reproducing ML DJs on dogeared (yet) so I frankly see little difference
between that activity and using a few illustrations on the site.
It's also a web thing where virtually anything goes and adherence to
traditional copyrighting principles is a grey area and impossible to apply
uniformly. I don't know if anyone these days really has a handle on how
copyrights, especially old copyrights, apply online, which is why using
some, but not all illustrations would be the safest option.
Of course I'm no copyright lawyer, so everything I've said could be utter
nonsense.

bill
206-491-0296 (work)
206-963-0499 (personal)