What constitutes fair use?

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Sun May 14 13:08:25 EDT 2006

Folks,

A kind ModLibber (two, actually) wrote to me pointing out that the
new illustrateds project might be in violation of copyright laws. The
suggestion is that, if these images are still under copyright, I
could get in trouble for posting all the images from a given title.

I want to avoid imperial entanglements (which I have always found to
be a wise course of action), but I also want to serve the needs/
requests of Dogeared members and ML collectors in general.

While I have always been a firm believer in the dictum "it is far
better to do and beg forgiveness than to ask and be refused," in this
case a safer course might be a posting of a prudent selection of
images rather than the all-or-nothing course.

SO: What constitutes "fair use" under copyright laws? What percentage
of the images in a given title can I post without worrying too much?

- Scot kamins
"What if this weren't a hypothetical question?"