Random House Green Mansions

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Fri May 12 21:48:58 EDT 2006

A year after it was published in the Illustrated Modern Library, Green Mansions was used by the Book-of-the-Month Club  as a 1945 dividend.  The BOMC edition used the imprint Random House on the title page and a larger format than the Illustrated Modern Library edition.  BOMC distributed nearly 300,000 copies of its dividends at this period (members received a dividend for each two volumes purchased), and it printed its own editions using a set of duplicate plates of the Illustrated ML edition.  They probably didn't print their 300,000 copies with the same attention to detail that Random House did with the 13,500 and 14,000 copies that constituted the first two Illustrated ML printings.  Random House received royalties on copies distributed by BOMC, and E. McKnight Kauffer got a $1,500 bonus (equivalent to the $1,500 fee he originally received for doing the illustrations) so it was a good deal for everyone.

I'm pretty sure the RH edition is the BOMC dividend.  I don't have a copy, and it would be interesting to see how the illustrations compare to the original Illustrated ML edition.  Anyone have a copy for sale?

Barry