Moll Flanders in the Modern Library

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Wed Mar 29 02:35:23 EST 2006

On Mar 28, 2006, at 5:25 PM, Morris, Terry wrote:

> While Abbott was at the Poetry Rare Book collection James Joyce
> died and
> Abbott ran off to Dublin and bought everything Joyce from the
> family. On
> my first day of working at the Collection, as a library student, I
> held
> in my hot little hands both Joyce and Sylvia Beech's personal
> copies of
> Ulysses.

Thanks for this and the rest. Interesting story, and an even better
brag.

I still wonder what he had to do with the Flanders. As you say, maybe
Barry will weigh in.

By the way, I've posted the material you sent me - Moll Flanders
title page with the long subtitle, as well as the letter from Kloper
to Abbott. Dogeared members can go to the Defoe page and click the
Info button to see the material.

http://www.dogeared.com/authors/dAuthors/defoeJackets.html

Scot Kamins
When the elephants dance in the lowlands, it is best that the
musicians play from the hilltop.