Return of the Native

DCHOCK7 at aol.com DCHOCK7 at aol.com
Sat Mar 11 14:37:30 EST 2006

Sharon,
Thanks for the info; I had forgotten about the Alice. It would be
interesting to see what a truly mint condition Gatsby, Falcon or Hemingway first  in DJ
would sell for.
Pete

Pete,

The Illustrated Alice in Wonderland is the  other title that has sold
for more than $1,000, not only on ebay but also  at book fairs and in
private sales.  It's worth noting that a   first edition, 225 title, Gatsby
has gone over $1,000 on at least 4  occasions.  Other titles (excluding B&L
editions) that have sold  in excess of $500 are the illustrated Bible and
The Maltese Falcon. Some  signed MLs have also gone that high, but buyers
are usually collectors of  the particular author rather than of MLs.  To
determine a reliable  price, one should be looking at at least a half dozen
sales of the same  title.  Of course, condition is always a huge factor and
can double or  triple the price.

Sharon

On  Fri, 10 Mar 2006 DCHOCK7 at aol.com wrote:

> The highest price paid for  a Modern Library remains $1,201 for a  Gatsby
in
> the first  issue, 225-title DJ. I believe it was the second or third
finest
> known. It sold to a Fitzgerald collector a few years ago, rather  than
someone
> interested in ML. I don't believe any other ML  sold for more than a
thousand,
> although a nice Hemingway first  came close. There have been a number  of
MLs