Return of the Native

DCHOCK7 at aol.com DCHOCK7 at aol.com
Fri Mar 10 22:56:16 EST 2006

The highest price paid for a Modern Library remains $1,201 for a  Gatsby in
the first issue, 225-title DJ. I believe it was the second or third  finest
known. It sold to a Fitzgerald collector a few years ago, rather than  someone
interested in ML. I don't believe any other ML sold for more than a  thousand,
although a nice Hemingway first came close. There have been a number  of MLs
that made in excess of $400 on ebay, but many of these were pre-1930s  issues or
Gatsbys or the Illustrated Dali. As far as I know, the $475  this Hardy flex
in the art deco DJ fetched was a record for a non-first  from the flexie era.
If someone has additional information, please let me  know.
Pete

DOH!  My apologies all around.  I was certain Anthony  did it.  So, Pete, do
you have any figures for us?

blc

Scot Kamins <kamins at dogeared.com>  wrote:

On  Mar 10, 2006, at 5:31 PM, B.L. Clark wrote:

> Doesn't Anthony P.  do the auction watch column for the Modern
> Library Collector? I'm  at work and can't check for sure if it is
> Mr. P. (or how to spell  his last name, which I think rhymes with
> Watusi).

I  don't think so. Pete Chocheles does a price watch column for  them.

- Scot  kamins
"