IDENTIFYING LOST ILLUSIONS G97 FIRST MODERN LIBRARY GIANT EDITION AND RELATED QUESTIONS

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sun Jul 30 12:54:14 EDT 2006

I haven't seen Lost Illusions in a full G6 binding.  Does anyone have it in a G6 binding, including the front cover with the torchbearer within a hexagonal border?  To the best of my knowledge the first printing of Lost Illusions (published spring 1967) was the only Giant with a G6 spine combined with the front cover design then being used on regular ML's.  The first Giant with the G7 binding was Hersey's The Wall, published in fall 1967.

The full G6 binding seems to have been used through 1966 only, with The World of Opera, published in fall 1966, being the last example.  The G7 binding was introduced in fall 1967.  Lost Illusions -- the only Giant published in spring 1967 -- appears to be a transitional binding between G6 and G7 that was used only for a single season.

If anyone has evidence to the contrary, I'd be grateful to know about it!

Barry