IDENTIFYING LOST ILLUSIONS G97 FIRST MODERN LIBRARY GIANT EDITION AND RELATED QUESTIONS

John jwol at fast.net
Sat Jul 29 22:55:19 EDT 2006

On Scott's site, there is a blurb credited to Henry, Amy, and Scott about
the binding on the first for Balzac's book.  It reads as follows:

This title came in two first Edition bindings. The 1970 Guide describes a
type 6 giant binding, but there's also one that looks like an overgrown type
12 regular series with a blind-stamped ML on the front cover with most of
the cover inscribed in a rectangle with two curved corners. No evidence has
been presented as yet pointing to which binding is the true first.

1.  Is the reference to the 1970 Guide a typo or did I miss an earlier
edition of Henry's guide?

2.  Does anyone have a copy bound in a true G6, that is with the torchbearer
in a hexagon on the cover?  Several copies have passed through my hands and
I have only seen the one referred to above as "overgrown type 12 regular".

3.  Does anyone have a copy with an ISBN on the back of the jacket?

4.  Does anyone have a copy with a $4.95 jacket price?

John Wolansky
jwol at fast.net