ML ISBNs

John jwol at fast.net
Mon Jul 24 12:23:51 EDT 2006

Both my Auden books, 160.2, have an ISBN #. &^*%$!

Can anyone confirm a 160.2, stated second edition, without an ISBN?

You picky people are costing me first ML editions!

John Wolansky

There were only 5 new ML titles in 1970, so I pulled out my copies
to check for ISBNs:

Styron: Confessions of Nat Turner (FMLED Feb 1970): two copies,
	no ISBNs on either DJ.
Vidal: Julian (FMLED Feb 1970): no ISBN on DJ back.
Camus: Notebooks 1942-1951 (FMLED Sept 1970): two copies, no ISBNs
	on either DJ.
Kosinski: Painted Bird (FMLED Sept 1970): no ISBN on DJ back.

I don't have the Auden 2nd ed to check.

Short of knowing if the Auden 1st DJ has a ISBN, it seems as if no
true FMLED DJ will have an ISBN number, and any DJ with an ISBN
indicates a subsequent, post 1970 printing.

Interesting that John W. has a Kosinski with an ISBN - that indicates
a second printing of that title.

One comment on ISBNs: in a quick internet search, I have seen both
1970 and 1972 indicated as the first time the standard was used in
the US.  Individual publishers probably adopted it at different
times.  I have no idea when Random House did.

John K.