ML Auden

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Mon Jul 24 11:35:19 EDT 2006

My copy of the 2nd edition of Auden's Selected Poetry has an ISBN on the back panel of the jacket (lower right) and also on the verso of the title page.  I've never been able to confirm the publication date and give it in my bibliography as 1971/72.  The latest copyright date is given as 1970.

Auden was writing RH about the contents at the end of April 1971 (he wanted the author's note in the 1st edition deleted from the 2nd).  Jason Epstein at RH wrote him that it would appear as a Vintage paperback in September 1971 and by early 1972 in the ML .  The Library of Congress catalogs the
Vintage edition as having been published in 1971 with the date in square brackets, which means it doesn't appear on  the book.  LC doesn't appear to have cataloged the ML reprint.

ISBNs were in widespread use by the 1970s, but I don't know precisely when Random House adopted them.  If anyone has the Vintage edition of the 2nd ed. of Auden's Selected Poetry it would be interesting to see if it includes an ISBN.