New article on Dogeared: "Ethics & eBay - No, Really!"

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Sat Jan 28 19:01:02 EST 2006

Stan,

I certainly agree that some buyers are unreasonable. Asking questions
that are answered in the listing or asking for a large number of
photos for a cheap book falls in the category of unreasonable; if
these people go away, you probably won't lose much.

Given your comments and putting yourself in the shoes of a collector:

1) Do you think that two photos of a dustjackted book - one of the
front panel and one of the spine - is an unreasonable request?
2) Assuming a buyer (as I suggest in the article) provides first
edition points for a book you advertise as a first and asks you to
check for them in the book, would you check for them?

Thanks,
Scot

On Jan 28, 2006, at 2:54 PM, Stan Shelley wrote:

> Scot
> Very interesting article and pleasing writing style.
> Books are my hobby, and ML is a part of that.  My knowledge of ML
> is not
> nearly as extensive as all you guys in modlib.  In my day job I own 3
> jewelry stores and an auction business that is now mostly Ebay.  We
> are
> platinum power sellers with 6 employees for Ebay so I may have a
> slightly
> different perspective on a couple things.  We sell on consignment
> for people
> and estates.  I do however agree with the tenor of most of your
> article.
>
> I will comment particularly on your list for determining who you do
> business
> with.  I agree with the positive feedback...ours is 99.9%.
> I agree with those who don't allow returns..we allow them for
> absolutely any
> reason..including."I changed my mind"
>
> My problem comes with "refuses to answer questions."  We try to
> understate
> our description of condition and provide great photos - this minimizes
> problems.  When we get questions we always send back an FAQ and
> sometimes we
> give specific answers to specific questions.  If we are selling a
> book for
> $30 and we get 30% commission, that is $9.  Out of that we pay Ebay
> fees,
> paypal fees, employees to list and photograph the book, and
> overhead.  There
> is just no economical way to provide much individual help with lots
> that
> sell in this price range.  We hope the photos will help.  A second
> problem
> with this category concerns the questions asked.  Now, I am sure your
> questions are wonderful, maybe even profound.  But you simply would
> not
> believe some of the questions we get.  Some ask for information
> that is in
> the description, but it was long, so they didn't want to bother.
> Some want
> to know the consignors name.  Some ask a series of 6 or 8
> questions.  So
> when do we give specific answers?  We answer if a quick examination
> of the
> product will provide the answer (as opposed to the lengthy research
> some
> folks want us to do.)  Also, because we are generalists, the
> bidders usually
> know more about the products than we do.  Thus if a questioner
> needs to know
> the last book listed in the ad that precedes the title page, we
> presume this
> is a fact of consequence to the knowledgeable collector and we answer.
>
> The other area where my world might be in conflict with the
> concerns of your
> [...]

Join Dogeared for access to thousands of ML images and tons of
members-only info!
http://www.dogeared.com/General/howToSubscribe.html