Encyclopedia of ML Flaws

J B Krygier jbkrygier at owu.edu
Mon Jan 23 13:04:48 EST 2006

On Jan 22, 2006, at 4:58 PM, Scot Kamins wrote:

> A few years ago (Feb 2002) we discussed the possibility of creating
> a visual encyclopedia on Dogeared of book flaws.

I think what you mean is a visual encyclopedia of book condition,
including common flaws.  It would be good to see what a "fine"
book and dust jacket look like (eg., no flaws!).  There are plenty
of sources on the WWW which describe book condition in words:

http://www.ioba.org/desc.html

...but not many have images.  An example of a page with images:

Powells: http://www.powells.com/rarebooks/bookbasics.html

I don't think there are particular condition or flaw issues unique
to ML editions, so it would be a project that is more about book
condition in general, with ML examples.  I think this was the reason
this project was not pursued in the past (check the archives!) -
not really unique to the ML.

The other problem is that the assessment of condition varies
considerably, even, it seems, among experts, thus there may be
(ok, will be) disagreements.  For example, does a price clip
on an otherwise perfect DJ drop it from Fine to Very Good?
What about a bold owner signature in pen?  One inch hole drilled
through the book with a drill press? (else fine).

John K.