What number to use for the Arrowsmith variation?

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Wed Jan 18 21:15:48 EST 2006

On Jan 18, 2006, at 8:28 AM, John wrote:

> … a variation of Lewis: Arrowsmith is assigned 42.3.  Isn’t
> O’Hara’s Appointment in Samarra 42.3?

I tried to find more info on this in the archives but was
unsuccessful. Evidently we didn't make a decision back when we
discovered this variation.

We can call it 42.4 which is available, or we can call it 42.2a. We
should NOT reclassify O'Hara to 42.4 because that would mess up
legacy databases that count on O'Hara being what it's been for many
years now.

What do people want to do?

Sharon, have you already numbered this variation?

Henry, do you have an opinion in the matter?

- Scot Kamins
The people of the various provinces are strictly forbidden to have in
their possession any swords, bows, spears, firearms or other types of
arms. The possession of these elements makes difficult the collection
of taxes and dues, and tends to permit uprising.

            -- Toyotomi Hideyoshi, Shogun of Japan, August 29, 1558