An ML oddity

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Fri Jan 13 13:38:42 EST 2006

On Jan 13, 2006, at 9:02 AM, I wrote:

>  Modern Library is famous for such oddities. I have a Boni-Liveright
> Treasure Island binding housing Ibsen's Plays, an illustrated
> Longfellow
> book block in a standard Longfellow binding, a balloon cloth
> Candide with
> one signature missing and a second signature doubled, and a giant
> buckram
> without the buckram stamp on the spine.

I should have pointed out that the illustrated Longfellow book block
in a standard binding was likely NOT a binding error. I recall a
discussion in the ListServ sometime back (which I cannot locate at
the moment) where I think it was Barry who said this was intentional
-- something about binding the remainder stock of already printed
book blocks when the illustrated series was discontinued because of
the expense.

- Scot Kamins
"Speak your truth, even as your voice quakes."