An ML oddity

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Fri Jan 13 12:02:52 EST 2006

On Jan 13, 2006, at 4:16 AM, Michael Gowan wrote:

> Yesterday I picked up an ML book that the binding indicated was
> George Santayana's "The Sense of Beauty." When I flipped to the
> title page, I found W. Somerset Maugham's "Cakes and Ales," All the
> text is Maugham's. Too bad there was no dust jacket -- who knows
> what that would have been from ; )
>
> Has anyone else run across this oddity?

Yeah. Modern Library is famous for such oddities. I have a Boni-
Liveright
Treasure Island binding housing Ibsen's Plays, an illustrated Longfellow
book block in a standard Longfellow binding, a balloon cloth Candide
with
one signature missing and a second signature doubled, and a giant
buckram
without the buckram stamp on the spine.

"Existence precedes and rules essence."
  — Jean-Paul Satre