"skin" endpapers

J B Krygier jbkrygier at owu.edu
Mon Jan 9 18:15:29 EST 2006

On Dec 28, 2005, at 7:32 PM, Scot Kamins wrote:

> Here are two shots of the endpapers that John Peterson described
> earlier.  The marbled design is common enough, but you can also see
> the texture he referred to in the scans.  The second scan is a
> portion of the first scan  shot at higher rez.  The book is The
> Woman Question, 59.1, a first edition from 1918.
>
> http://www.dogeared.com/endpaper1.jpg
>
> http://www.dogeared.com/endpaper2.jpg

So I am eating my lunch, and come across this tidbit about books bound
in skin:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/rhode_island/articles/2006/01/07/
some_of_nations_best_libraries_have_books_bound_in_human_skin/

or http://tinyurl.com/ddqjc

Then I stop off at a local bookstore and there sits a 1st B&L ed of
Macy's "Spirit of American Literature" (no DJ) with the "skin" endpapers
just like John Peterson described (& illustrated above).  So I guess
John's book is not the only one!  I did not buy the book ($7.50) so if
someone wants to contact the store, email me personally and I will pass
along their phone number.

jk