Styron's The Long March; Your Child's Body and Mind

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Mon Jan 2 15:39:56 EST 2006

Henry is correct about there only being one ML Paperbacks
printing of Styron's The Long March. I've checked my records
and have never seen a later printing.  I have complete sales
records for 1958/59 and 1959/60 of ML Paperbacks, and The Long
March was one of the poorer selling titles at this time --
3,700 copies -- though it sold 900 more copies in 1959/60 than
in 1958/59, which was encouraging.  Faulkner's Sound and the
Fury was the best-selling ML Paperback during this 2-year
period, with sales of 46,500 copies. The only titles with
worse sales than The Long March were Isherwood's Prater
Violet, Tomlinson's The Sea and the Jungle, Huysman's Against
the Grain, and Stein's Appreciation.  The last two sold less
than 150 copies each in 1959/60, which suggests that they were
disontinued or went out of print early in the year.

According to James L.W. West's Styron bibliography, The Long
March had 3 more printings, but the 2nd-4th printings were
under the Vintage Books imprint.

Given the scarcity of Dunbar's Your Child's Mind and Body
(P46), some collectors have questioned whether it was ever
published.  It was.  Sales during the two-year period totaled
9,800 copies.  If you come across one of them, let me know --
it's the one ML Paperback I don't have!

Gordon B. Neavill
Associate Professor
Library and Information Science Program