Would a list of 1928/29 Transitionals be helpful?

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Wed Feb 22 16:25:54 EST 2006

The Random House archives at Columbia University include print orders --
carbon copies on cheap yellowish brown paper -- consisting of page after
page of  title listings by number and the number of copies of each to be
printed.  The ML kept several presses running pretty much continually, and
new print orders were submitted at frequent intervals.  I don't think the
print orders in the archives are complete, but even if they were I'm not
sure that the benefits to be derived from analyzing them would be worth the
trouble.  A human lifetime is short enough as it is.

In terms of bindings, the orders are for printings, not necessarily
bindings.  In the Boni and Liveright and early ML, Inc. periods, entire
printings were not always bound at the same time.  Books tended to be
warehoused unbound (folded, sewn, and with endpapers tipped on) and then
cased as orders came in.  Single printings sometimes ended up in more than
one binding.  Examples include the final B&L printings which are commonly
found with B&L endpapers cased in the first ML, Inc. binding.

I suspect that any list of transitional bindings is likely to be incomplete,
and I'm not sure that it would be worth the time it would take to compile.
But then, I don't try to collect ibinding variants for each title.