Bonibooks

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Sat Feb 18 21:36:39 EST 2006

On Feb 18, 2006, at 6:08 PM, JPetersonlhi at aol.com wrote:

> I'm guessing that this was one of Albert Boni's efforts after
> Little Leather Library and ML. The brochure seems to be targeting
> much the same customers as ML, offering "taste & culture" during
> the depression at half the price of ML.  Anyone know about this
> series? Was it successful?  Are there collectors who might be
> interested in a brochure such as this?

http://www.bookrags.com/history-america-1930s-media/sub15.html

"Books published with paper covers had appeared before the 1930s. For
instance, in 1929 Charles Boni launched Boni Paper Books, which
offered paperbound books first through a mail-order club and then, as
Bonibooks, through bookstores. The books were beautifully designed,
but the series ended in 1932 because of the Depression. "

Here's a link to a copy of a great  "Against the Grain" lurid
Bonibooks cover:
http://i.biblio.com/b/739l/33637739-0-l.jpg

Other citations point to Bonibooks dated as late as 1934 or 1935 (but
described as hardbacks).

"He not busy being born is busy dying." -- Bob Dylan