Bonibooks

JPetersonlhi at aol.com JPetersonlhi at aol.com
Sat Feb 18 21:08:05 EST 2006

Stuck in a baloon cloth ML I bought today there was a small
catalogue/brochure advertising "Bonibooks: Famous Books by Famous Authors."  The 50 cent price
of these books is prominently advertised, as is the literary quality
"Bonibooks meet the demand of improved literary standards and artistic appreciation."
>From the description, these books appear to be paperbacks, and the undated
brochure appears to be from the early '30,s ("...these are being offered at a
price which should make good books as much a part of American life as the radio
and the talkies"), and the fine condition brochure may have been stuck in the
book (#5 binding) at time of original purchase.  Oddly, to order any of the 34
books listed, you check off your choices on the form and send it to "Jacob
Kramer, Chemist, Broadway & 107th, NYC."

I'm guessing that this was one of Albert Boni's efforts after Little Leather
Library and ML. The brochure seems to be targeting much the same customers as
ML, offering "taste & culture" during the depression at half the price of ML.
Anyone know about this series? Was it successful?  Are there collectors who
might be interested in a brochure such as this?

John Peterson