Price of Giants (was Re: ML Matchbooks)

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sat Feb 4 20:37:47 EST 2006

The Giants went to $1.45 in spring 1942.  Malraux's Man's
Hope, published in October 1941, was the last Giant published
at $1.25.  The Life and Writings of Abraham Lincoln, published
in February 1942, was $1.45.

The price rose to $1.75 at the beginning of 1946, but hardly
anyone noticed.  Except for newly published titles, few Giants
were available.  Nearly all the Giants were out of stock by
the end of the war, and paper shortages that continued to
plague the publishing industry in the years immediately
following the war.  It wasn't until September 1948 that all
the regular volumes and Giants were again in stock.

Barry